- Research group: Search for one or several research groups of which you would like to be a member for a thesis.
- Ask the head of the group about the conditions and possibilities to perform your thesis in his/her group (you have the freedom to choose a group; the head of the group has the freedom to choose the coworkers!).
- If you come to an agreement, everything is settled, if you have finished your undergraduate studies at the University of Basel. Otherwise check the following points:
- Ask the Faculty of Science to attest the equivalence of your diploma with the diploma of the University of Basel
- As the undergraduate studies take 4 years in Basel, your diploma studies should also have taken at least 4 years at a university or technical university. The attest for equivalence is usually obtained easily for most universities in Europe where the faculty has the experience to check the equivalence. For other countries it may be more difficult and is sometimes denied. In any case you ask for the attest in cooperation with the head of the research group who is willing to accept you in his/her group.
- Immatriculation at the University of Basel: With the attest from the Faculty of Science you can immatriculate yourself.
- Visum with a working permission: If you are not a Swiss citizen or permanent resident with working permission, you also need a visum with working permission. This you get usually under the condition that you are immatriculated at the University of Basel. Which forms you have to fill in, etc., you will be told by the head of your research group.
To perform a thesis takes typically between 3 and 3 and a half years. However, the time needed depends much on your own effort. You will usually have to do some additional work as an assistant, which gives you some income. The length may also depend on your work as assistant.
Faculty regulations and deadlines
Agenda 2017/2018 und 2018/2019 (pdf)
Promotionsordnung (starting autumn semester 2016)